Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Signs of an Awesome Weekend

My scraped and blistered hands make it kind of difficult to do the simplest things...like brush my teeth. But they are a sign that I conquered something this weekend. That when Mark and I got home at 10 p.m. on Saturday night we went straight to bed out of sheer exhaustion I knew we had a great weekend. Between games of 500, rock climbing, shopping, playing at the park, and playing with Jake and Amy and Charlotte we were pretty much exhausted. Needless to say we only made it to part of church the next day....
Our church moved to 9 a.m. Sacrament is last and let's just be honest that just tempts you to skip your other meetings. I'll admit it we only went to Sacrament. But we really needed the sleep in after two days full of fun.
I conquered a rock wall. I was slow and the rock was really hot and some of the holds were crimpy or cracks (hence the scraped and blistered hands). There is a moment on the wall that I usually get stuck at. I'm just a few moves away from the very end, but those last few moves tend to be the ones where I have to trust myself the most. I can't rely on bomb-proof holds and I have to rely on my feet. I'm bad at this. I usually sit there long enough trying to decide what to do that I lose all my strength and have to come down off the wall. And then I kind of feel like a loser, since Jake, Amy and Mark are way better at climbing that I am. This time I decided I was going to finish even if it meant relying on my feet. There were a lot of moves that required me to trust my feet on that wall. I had to think about it for a bit, but I made those last few moves. I was exhilarated....and very hot.
It was worth it though, and now I'm just itching to go climbing again. Jake and Amy were awesome for taking us climbing. Plus I got some sister-in-law bonding time with Amy which resulted in new shoes for both of us, so it was definitely a success.
Then Mark and I decided to add an extra half hour onto the 45 min. commute from Jake and Amy's by forgetting a much needed battery charger. It all worked out though, we still got our grocery shopping done and we got Costa Vida.
I have the best family.

No comments: