Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Story Of Us [Part Three]

I was sitting in my geography class in Logan when I saw your email. It was completely unexpected but nice to get an apology. Maybe you had gotten lonely out there in Ghana. So we emailed back and forth a little. You told me how you got to bathe with a bucket.
I remember the day very clearly. I remember looking at my phone incredulously and then feeling like I needed to be very careful with this. I knew you were on your mission. I knew it. Yet a phone message blinked on my phone from you asking me if this was still my number.
I thought maybe your older brother had gotten a hold of you phone and was enjoying the reactions of people. You would do that and I had never met your brother so I thought he might too.
It took you quite a while to convince me but I finally understood. After about six weeks in Ghana you were home because of medical issues. You always said I was very straight forward about the whole thing. Maybe I was a little rude asking you exactly why you were home right away. But you told me what had happened.
Then we started texting again. It wasn't nearly as much as before, but hey I had a boyfriend.
Warren Miller came. Oh Warren how I love thee. I loved it so much I went totally by myself when everyone else flaked out on me. You were rude enough not to even invite me to sit with you because you were worried about how it would look and how you family would act. I was so frustrated I didn't even say hi. I saw you though. I saw enough to see that you were ok, and reasonably happy. I could live with that.
It seems like every time we start to lose touch with each other somehow fate throws us back into each others' lives. That Christmas you were working on a UPS route. Out of probably hundreds of routes you could have been on, you were on the one that my house was on. Someone must have thought we REALLY needed to stay friends because right there we started talking again and you were coming to USU.
I was so thrilled to have another friend up in Logan, we seemed to pick up right where we left off.


No comments: