Sunday, October 10, 2010

Ward Choir

So I don't know if I've told many people what my calling in my ward is....It went a little like this.
"Sister Rich, we would like to extend the calling to you to be the ward organist," said Bishop Beck.
I sat there for a minute taking that in, "Well that's great....but I don't play the organ."
The bishopric starts laughing at me, "I'm just kidding, we would like you to be a member of the ward choir."
That's a calling? You mean you have to call people to be in the ward choir? That's something I've never heard. So my calling is to be a member of the ward choir.
Today was my first choir practice.
I walked into the chapel feeling a little weird as I was one of the only people still dressed up...it's in the chapel guys....you're supposed to be dressed up in there. Oh well, the director is this squeaky red headed kid that gets really excited about well, everything.
I'm an alto, sort of. Meaning I can't actually hit the high notes the sopranos can, but I suck at finding the alto part in hymns.
Well I did try. And I think that if we were playing guitar hero...I probably would have passed. Or at least I hope so. I'm definitely not a singer. Love to sing...suck at it. The squeaky kid says that it doesn't matter what we sound like as long as we bring the spirit. Well I agree with that to a point...but the spirit has ears too.
This choir is pretty legit. They've pretty much written this whole arrangement from scratch and have written the transitions themselves. It's really really pretty...I just hope I don't completely botch it. 

1 comment:

somethingcoolerthan said...

Can I just say I really love your blog? It's hysterical. I wish my life had as much humor as yours.