Friday, April 4, 2008

Why do bad things happen to good people?

So this week my friend told me her parents are seperating. What are you supposed to say to that? She has got to be one of the best people ever, so I was suprised. Why do things like divorce happen? I thought temple marriage was supposed to be permanent.
It got me thinking. Especially because just a week before my newspaper advisor shared some information with me about my super close guy friend's parents' divorce. It was a part of it I had never heard, and it hit me how hard the whole thing must have been. And he is seriously one of the most amazing people I know. Why did this happen to them? I'm nowhere near where they are spiritually, and they seem to be so much more good than me. Shouldn't this have happened to me not them.
I talked to my really close guy friend about it. And he said trials people have make or break them. All amazing people you will ever meet had a trial that made them so.
So all amazing people aren't just amazing...and even if they are their trials make them so much more amazing.
In seminary I read the story of Job. Job was targeted because of his faith and Satan thought he could break him. But Job never wavered. Job was an example to all...and even through all of his trials, he lost everything, he stayed firmly planted in his good ways.
Bad things happen to good people because Heavenly Father loves them. He just wants them to be so much the better for everything. He never tests us beyond what we can withstand.
It's like climbing a rock wall (I'm also a rock climber). You choose a level you know you can do. But it always seems half way up the wall you start to think it's too hard. Sometimes we don't trust the rope. But if we will only try and know that we will be caught we can make it to the top. And when you get to the top you feel amazing. Because you knew you endured through it. Christ is our rope, even when we fall short he catches us and helps us reach ever higher.
If we are constantly doing the easy walls, we will never get better at climbing. We must attempt the ones that test us. Heavenly Father understands this. Bad things happen to good people to make them better people.

No comments: