Sunday, September 26, 2010

Coming Full Circle

I remember back in high school sitting in newspaper. Mrs. Shelton had just showed us the beginning and end of Signs, and asked us how they tied together. Of course we talked about that for a second wondering how on earth Signs related back to journalism in any way. Then she explained to us that the reason we felt so complete at the end of this movie, was that it all came full circle at the end.
I've been reading a lot of realist works from the early days of American literature. For example, Daisy Miller: A Study, by Henry James, The Awakening by Kate Chopin, and Yellow Wallpaper by Susan Gilman. All good...all have a distinct flaw for me. They just end.
I guess I've been feeling like a piece of American Realist literature, kind of just ending. I'm still exhausted by work and school and things. But maybe I need to bring things more full circle now. Maybe that will help the confusion and other things in my life. Who knows? Worth a shot right?
Enough with the heavy....now for a funny....
We were talking about the fashions of the Victorian Era etc. in my American literature class....and then Dr. Funda says...."Suddenly...the 1900s rolled around and OH MY GOSH....I can see her knees!" Apparently, back in the day...knees were sexy. Some of you might understand that joke.

3 comments:

somethingcoolerthan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
somethingcoolerthan said...

Haha good old Mrs. Shelton. All I have to say is thank goodness you were in that class. Your humor made it worth while.:)

Mikayla said...

I'm so glad it made it worth while. Sometimes I worried that I only enjoyed that class.