Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Everyone Has Their Price

Oh the beauty of bribery. Everyone has their price, the offer that is just too good to refuse.
For a boy at work it was a Subway sandwich...although if he assumes that because I'm buying him a sandwich it's a date, I might have to rethink this.
So what were the fateful events that lead up to the Subway bribery? Well let me just tell you.
Me and my dear friend Shannon were on break eating our lunch on a busy training day. Shannon brought yogurt and didn't have a spoon. So she used her yogurt lid. The creativity of this girl astounds me.
Shannon is in process of turning in her mission papers and was telling me of where she would like to go if called stateside, "I think it would be way cool to serve at a church site, like Nauvoo or Independence, Missouri."
I responded, "Oh I have a friend serving in Independence, but he's in Kansas most of the time and doesn't spend a whole lot of time in Independence."
This random kid just walked up and sat down at our table. Shannon apparently knew him because she said, "Hi, Rhett."
This was interesting to me. I had recently received an email from this boy. He had told me that I had spoken with a customer and that they wanted to talk to me. I had responded with a not so nice email telling him he should have taken care of the issue. (Which he should have, he was newer and didn't know.)
"Oh, you're Rhett. I think I sent you a mean email," I said.
He looked a little surprised and said, "Wait, you're Mikayla?"
"Yeah...sorry....I wasn't trying to be rude. I just had gotten like three emails just like yours and I was a little bugged," I apologized.
"Did you say you had a friend that served in Independence?" He asked.
"Yeah I did. His name was Alex Nicholes. Did you know him?"
"Yes! He was my district leader in the MTC!"
I stopped and did some quick math....Alex had been out less than a year. Meaning this boy must not have been out very long. He immediately realized what I was thinking and added, "I came home for medical reasons about three months in."
"Oh that sucks, I'm sorry. Yeah, Alex and I were best friends."
His eyes immediately got wide and he was staring at me with new found recognition, "You're Mikayla!!!"
"Yeah...pretty sure we established that a few minutes ago," I said.
"No, Alex talked about you all the time, he was so excited to get your letters!"
"Wait, what?"
And then with the realization that he had said too much, he immediately stopped talking. When pestered further he revealed that he was sworn to secrecy. To which I responded by saying, "Name your price."

Now, does it really matter what Alex said? Not really. Could I ask Alex about it? Sure. But is this way more fun? Pretty much. Besides maybe this boy's information is worth a five dollar footlong.

No comments: